Walk Through Video For Setting Up
The following video walks you through the entire process step by step to setup your computer and environment:
Step 1. Download IntelliJ
Go to https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/ and make sure you select the COMMUNITY version, NOT the ULTIMATE version.
Step 2. Setup IntelliJ
- Follow the instruction at https://www.jetbrains.com/help/idea/install-and-set-up-product.html up to (but not including) the section of “Register IntelliJ IDEA”.
Step 3. Test with a project and class
- Open up IntelliJ, select File->New->Project
- You should see this window opened up:
Pay attention to the “Project SDK” field, and make sure it shows a valid JDK version. It could be 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, …, which are all fine, and your setup is now complete.
If it displays a message to the effect that no SDK is found, then you need to manually download and install JDK, please follow the instructions below for step 4.
Step 4. Download and install JDK
- Visit http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/es/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html (We will download JDK 8)
- Under the table ” Java SE Development Kit 8u172″, select “Accept License Agreement”, and choose the correct file based on the operating system of your computer. For macbook, choose “Mac OS X x64”; For windows, choose “Windows x86” or “Windows x64”, depending on what OS you are running.
- After downloading the correct JDK file, open it and follow the instructions to install. Write down which directory the JDK is installed into.
- After the installation is completed, go back to IntelliJ. In the screen shot window above, click on the “New” button near the upper right corner. You will see a drop down select list as shown below:
Choose “JDK”. You will see this window popped up:
Navigate to the correct directory that you installed JDK to, highlight it, and click “OK”, and your IntelliJ should have the JDK installed and setup and ready to be used.
That is it! Your setup is now complete. See you in class!