>>>> View Spring 2020 Class Schedule <<<<
Course Offerings By Semester and Type
Ascende Learning focuses on serving students in grade 6~12 and offers the following Computer Science classes in the CS domain. We offer the following computer science and programming classes.
(** All information here is provided as a general guidance and plan. The actual course offering for each semester may vary).
|Course||Fall Onsite||Spring Onsite||Summer Onsite||Online Anytime (How?)|
|Fundamental Java Programming (Gr.6-8)||x||x|
|Fundamental Java Programming (Gr.9+)||x||x||x|
|Intermediate Java Programming||x||x|
|AP Computer Science A||x||x|
|APCS A Review & Test Prep||x|
|USACO Silver||x (as needed)||x (as needed)||x|
|USACO Gold||x (as needed)||x (as needed)||x|
More About Our Courses
- Fundamental Java Programming: Java is a general-purpose language was designed to easy to use and portable. 90% of the Fortune 500 companies have since used Java to develop desktop apps and website backend systems. Java is the designated language used in AP Computer Science A, and Android apps are also developed using Java since the Android Operating System runs on a Java language environment. Our Java Programming class doesn’t require any prior programming background, and teaches students all the fundamental knowledges and skills to program comfortably in Java.
- Intermediate Java Programming: This course is targeted to students who have completed our fundamental Java Programming course and yearns to further solidify their learning and sharpen programming skills. The course will teacher more advanced Java topics, with an emphasis on hands-on practices and projects. It will prepare students to be more confident and successful in the AP Computer Science A course, or the USACO Bronze course.
- AP Computer Science A: This course covers advanced Java topics specified by College Board for AP Computer Science A, with an emphasis on object-oriented programming. Students build a variety of complex projects while learning about objects, classes, scope, and inheritance. This course also covers basic searching and sorting algorithms in Java. This course prepares students for the AP Computer Science A exam, which is administered in May of each year.
- APCS A Test Prep (Spring Only) : This class is for students who have completed the APCS (AP Computer Science A) course at Ascende Learning or currently taking AP Computer Science A course at local high school, and getting ready to prepare for the APCS test in May.
- USACO (Computing Olympiad) Bronze Class : All beginner students start in the Bronze division and can be promoted to upper divisions based on their contest scores. Our bronze class requires students to already possess fundamental programming skills since our curriculum focuses on training students to work through complex problems and developing their problem-solving skills, and will teach them all algorithms and techniques that they need to know to be pass the Bronze level.
- USACO (Computing Olympiad) Silver Class : USACO Silver division is considerably more difficult than the bronze level, and a well designed and target curriculum is the key for students to prepare for Silver division contest efficiently and effectively. Our curriculum is designed in an extremely targeted manner and precisely contains everything students need to learn to be successful for their efforts to overcome the Silver level challenge, no more, and no less.
- USACO (Computing Olympiad) Gold Class : After student passed the USACO Silver contest and entered the Gold division, the game is a completely different beast. Problems get much more challenging and requires the students to learn a new set of advanced algorithms and data structures. Again, our curriculum is designed in the same extremely targeted manner as the other levels, and precisely contains the knowledges and skills students need to study and practice, to reach the prestigious USACO platinum level.